Pre-departure briefings for UK Share

Congratulations from Total Student Care (TSC) and the team!

Now you have obtained your study visa for the UK.

Yes, you have done it, you have opened a new door of opportunity for your life and you are going to depart from your usual
and familiar daily life for some time shortly to embrace this new opportunity.

You are departing your home country to arrive in the UK to commence your higher study. You should now prepare
for your pre-departure or pre-arrival to adjust with the changes.

We suggest you settle your day-to-day life matters in the home country because you won’t be there for
some time to deal with those in person. Once you fix the day of departure, you should
do a little homework for packing your bags.

Packing list and respective luggage

Hand luggage:

  • Your valid passport with valid student visa
  • Your airline ticket (if you are under 18, parents’ consent letter for traveling alone)
  • Your Unconditional Offer Letter and CAS Statement  from education provider
  • Originals and certified copies of your academic documents and evidence of English proficiency
  • Evidence to prove that you have enough money to pay your fees and meet your maintenance costs
  • Your full birth certificate in English
  • Any accommodation booking confirmation document, including full address and telephone number
  • Contact details of family/friend in the event of a emergency
  • Address and telephone number of your final destination in the UK
  • Any money, travellers Cheque, credit cards in a very secure inside pocket
  • Some money for emergency phone calls and travel expenses to travel to your accommodation
  • Vaccination certificates if required
  • Any prescribed drugs or medicines you are taking and a letter from your doctor explaining the type and usage
  • A pen and a small note-book
  • Any particularly fragile or valuable items
  • A warm sweater and a scarf
  • An umbrella

Main/hold luggage:

  • Copies of your passport pages including the visa page
  • A note of the serial numbers of any travellers cheque that you might be carrying in your hand luggage
  • Several photocopies of your academic and other essential documents
  • Several passport-sized photos of yourself – you’ll need them for bus/train passes & Enrolment with University etc.
  • Cloths and footwear suitable for cold and rainy weather - pack enough warm cloths and comfortable footwear
  • Some comfortable and informal cloths along with cloths for special events and formal wearing
  • Personal toiletries to last a month or so. You may need time to get used to new items in the UK
  • Few small souvenirs or family photo to keep you feeling connected to home

We suggest not packing any cutlery, scissors and knives, washing up liquid and other cleaning chemicals, cooked meat
or fish, dry fish, acids, batteries, rat poison etc. please CLICK HERE for more information.

You should consider doing the following after arriving in the UK

Registering/enrolling with the University/College

We suggest this is the first thing you do after your arrival in the UK. You will need the enrolment
letter from the education provider to complete other necessary things
to start your student life in the UK.

You will find dates of your course start and deadlines for your registration/enrolment on your
CAS statement. Take your passport, all original certificates including
English proficiency certificate, two passport size photo
& any outstanding tuition fees. 

Opening a UK Bank Account

It is essential to open a bank account as soon as you arrive, within the first week if possible. To open
an account, banks normally ask for your passport, enrolment confirmation letter or a letter from your
university or college detailing your enrolment information, term-time and home country addresses.
Once bank confirm your account with them, they may provide you with cheque book, deposit book,
cashpoint/debit/credit cards and other facilities - check with the bank about the facilities they provide
at the time of your application. Most of the banks in the UK send monthly 'bank statement' to the
term-time address. Bank statements are vital documents as evidence of availability of your funds -
you may need these at the time of your future visa extension in the UK. Many organisations accept
bank statements as proof of address when and if required. Therefore, it is important that
you update your bank should you change the address.

Registering with the Police

The UK Immigration Law require certain foreign nationals to register with the police within
7 days upon arrival in the UK. The Immigration Authority at the airport will tell you if you need to
register with the police and the procedures for this. To register, you will need your passport,
a passport size photo and the appropriate fee. Please CLICK HERE for more information.

Registering with the Doctor

We suggest you register with a doctor normally known as GP (General Practitioner) at medical
centre or surgery closest to your area of residence as early as possible. In case of medical needs,
they will provide you the medical treatment. You will need college/university enrolment letter,
passport, proof of address to register with the doctor/GP. If you require medical help before you
register with a doctor or GP, you may visit hospitals under the National Health Service (NHS).
To find out more about the NHS, please CLICK HERE for more information.

Using Mobile telephone

You might have your mobile handset from back home, if not, you can always buy one from
the nearest shop in the UK. You may not be able to take a contact phone line based on a
monthly rental basis immediately after your arrival. Your bank account in the UK will have
to be matured enough to pass credit references. Therefore, you may need to have an
unlocked sim-free phone set or buy a ‘Pay as you go’ phone set. Pay as you go phone
sets allow users to top up call credits as and when required. Alternatively, you may
use public telephones which are available in public places.

Buying Television licence

If you decide to watch or record television programmes as they are broadcast in your room,
you must get a licence for it, otherwise you could be liable to a fine of £1,000 and prosecution.
A television licence costs £145 for colour and £49 for black & white sets.
For more details on television licence, please CLICK HERE for more information.

Buying Travel cards – student discount

You will need to get photo Oyster card or student Railcard to buy discounted tickets
which is normally 30% or 1/3 less than the usual price. You may need to show your
student ID card or student registration number and study details to make online application.

Arranging Accommodation

Most of the universities provide university halls of residence (check before you apply for
admission if you intend to stay at university halls). University hall types include: Self-Catered
(student is responsible for own meals), Catered (two meals provided per day), En-Suite
(student gets own bedroom and bathroom, but shared kitchen and living room with flat
mates), Studio Flat (student gets own bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette, Standard
Room (student has own bedroom and washbasin, but shared bathroom (toilet
& shower) with flat mates.

Alternatively, student may choose to hire private accommodation, stay with friends in
shared private flat or stay with relatives. Accommodation costs vary according to type and
region. For more details on accommodation, check UK Council for International Student
Affairs - UKCISA, please CLICK HERE for more information.

In the UK, households are charged Council Tax, a system of local taxation collected by local
authorities. International students studying full time may get exemption from this if they
meet certain criteria. For more details on Council Tax, check UK Council for International
Student Affairs - UKCISA, please CLICK HERE for more information.

Culture Shock and what to do

It is a shock i.e. the feelings or trauma you may experience when you move into UK
culture or social environment which is different from your familiar home culture.

You may experience problems including information overload, language barrier, generation
gap, technology gap, skill interdependence, homesickness, boredom, response ability,
confusion, uncertainty, anxiety, doubt, nervousness, frustration etc. 

Culture shock is entirely normal and everyone goes through it. The different phases of culture
shock can be significant learning experience if you manage it effectively and make it part
of your learning from international education. For more information on culture shock and
how to manage it effectively to get positive aspects, please check this site of UKCISA.

For more information about Life in the UK, please visit English UK site here.
Total Student Care - TSC is a Partner Agency of English UK.

For details on UK Student Life, please check HERE.

Important Notice: Please remember to update your education provider and Total Student Care - TSC 
any change of your contact details immediately. Do not forget to notify
 UKVI about any change of your circumstances (CLICK HERE) 
while you are in the UK.

Post Comment

Login to post comment
No comment found in this fourm