K M Enayet Hossain
07 February, 2021

5 min read


How to apply for university admission

Step by step guidelines on how to apply for admission at a UK University i.e. documents and information requirements.

Total Student Care (TSC) can maximise your chance for admission at Universities/Colleges by giving you appropriate professional advice on the process and helping you to submit error-free application with relevant and required documents.

Once you communicate your choices of course and institution, we will request for further information and documents from you as and when required. Normally, to complete your admission process, you will take the following steps –


6 steps to success (6s2s)


Step 1
Receive consultation: receive consultation by our professional and experienced team – select your course, university, location as per your requirements.


Step 2
Submit documents: Once you are happy and reach a decision, provide required documents, mandatory information and sign necessary forms.


Step 3
Submit application: Our team will submit your admission application with supporting documents and information, will follow up with university admission team.


Step 4
Get offer: Get your offer letter, check condition/s (if any) of the offer and fulfil the condition/s to get unconditional offer.


Step 5
Accept offer: On receipt of the unconditional offer, accept it, pay fees, submit bank statement and other supporting documents.


Step 6
Receive CAS/Visa Letter: The university will issue your CAS /Visa Letter  for your visa application.  


The above steps may vary for different universities and countries.


Documents we may require


Academic Documents

  • Academic Certificates (original, students having ‘provisional’ certificates must provide official academic transcripts),
  • Official Academic Transcripts for academic qualifications,
  • Two academic reference letters on letterhead, signed and dated,
  • IELTS/Pearson/WAEC/NECO certificate.



  • All personal data pages,
  • Passport correction page (if correction done),
  • All visa pages (if granted for destination or any other country),
  • Stamp page for previous visa refusal/s for destination or any other country (if any),
  • Home country arrival stamp page if you were in destination country before under any visa.


Other Documents


Information Required

  • Telephone number/s,
  • Present and permanent address,
  • Email address & skype ID,
  • Marital status. If married, no of dependants,
  • Physical or other disability or medical condition,
  • Any criminal conviction or charge,
  • Next of kin's name, relationship and contact details.


You must proactively provide any other relevant information or documents that are not covered above but you deem it necessary. Documents must be in English.

You must give true information and genuine documents only. You are responsible and must bear any consequence for any false information and unauthentic/fake/counterfeit/forged documents you provide.

Please note that you give us your consent to use the information and documents you provide for admission and related purpose. We maintain strict confidentiality and do not share any information and documents with anybody other than the one that you give those for and legal authority if required.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q When to apply for UK University admission?

A Earlier is better. We advise you to apply at least 4 months before the intake start date – this will allow you sufficient time to fulfil offer conditions, clear any interview, pay tuition fees deposit and request CAS as early as possible so that you can apply for your visa. You should leave enough time for visa decision and travel arrangements post visa success.

Q Is there any fee for UK university application?

A Most of the UK universities do not charge any application fee. However, there are a few universities that charge a non-refundable admission application fee, you will need to pay it at the time of application submission.

Q How to meet entry requirements?

A Generally most of the UK universities have similar entry requirements for different level of courses. However, requirements for academic grades and English proficiency may vary slightly sometimes. You should check the university website for the information or consult one of our advisers if you are not sure and need additional support.

Q Do UK universities accept TOEFL iBT?

A Yes, UK universities accept TOEFL iBT international students. The Home Office has confirmed that the universities with track record of compliance can choose to use TOEFL iBT to make their own assessment of English language ability for visa applications to degree level courses.

Q Can I transfer my current credits to a UK university/do UK Universities accept credit transfer?

A Normally, UK universities do not accept credit transfer for credits you have achieved from your home country. However, you might get exemptions via RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) sometimes. RPL enables accepting a previous qualification as meeting the learning outcomes (or covering the syllabus) for a course or module, so you don't need to take it as part of your degree.

Q Can I apply to more than one university or course?

A Yes, you are free to apply to as many university as you want for as many courses as to satisfy your taste, but we suggest apply for those course that match your earlier study areas. However, if you are thinking of a career change to a different field, you may choose to apply for a different subject or a conversion course if you meet the entry requirements.

We advise strictly not to apply for more than one course at the same time. If you want to change your course after your application, and if you meet the entry requirements for the new course, you will need to request the university to change the course with a new personal statement.

Q Can I defer my course intake? How to defer it?

A If you miss the deadlines to meet the conditions of your offer or make a decision to start the course in a later intake, you can request the university to defer your intake and request for a new offer letter for the intake you want.

Q What is the difference between a postgraduate taught courses and postgraduate research courses?

A Postgraduate taught courses (MA, MSc, MBA, and LLM etc.) can provide anything from vocational training to preparation for further research. Postgraduate taught courses are generally delivered by lecture, seminar or lab session. The duration of courses are usually one year or 2 years with work placement for full-time study and course content is broken down into modules.

Postgraduate research degrees (MRes, MPhil, PhD etc.) are generally research-led and involve a large amount of independent reading, lab work and fieldwork. Research degrees tend to be longer in duration as students gain a greater understanding of their chosen area.

Q What is a Research Proposal?

A If you are applying for a research degree (PhD, MPhil or MRes) you will need to submit a written proposal of 2000 to 3000 words on a proposed topic outlining outline the project you want to undertake. Before drafting a research proposal it is a good idea to consult with any academic contacts you already have.

Q Which courses require a portfolio? How to submit the portfolio?

A Practice based and practical courses will require you to submit a portfolio of your earlier works with your application. Normally you will need to submit a portfolio when you are applying the courses listed below:

  • Audio Production
  • Film and TV
  • Photography
  • Illustration
  • Jewellery and Accessories
  • Graphics
  • Fine Arts
  • Fashion Design
  • Animation
  • Urban Design and Architecture
  • Textiles
  • Interior Design
  • Music
  • Fine Art
  • Media Production
  • Creative Writing

There are other courses that may require a portfolio, check the course entry requirements if that requires one.

You can upload the portfolio as pdf file on the application portal or provide link/s for any published portfolio i.e. you tube link etc. You will find the appropriate options on the application portal.

Q If my documents are not in English, will those be accepted?

A No, documents that are not in English will not be accepted. If any of your documents are not in English, you will need those to be translated in English by official translator confirming accurate translation of the original document, the date of the translation, the translator’s full name and signature, contact details. You must submit copies of both documents, original and the translated one.

Q How to provide academic reference for my application?

A You can take a reference letter from your teacher on institutional letterhead paper and upload it on the application portal. It should be dated within last two years, and signed by reference provider.

Alternatively, you can provide the referee’s details including full name, designation, department and institution’s name, address, referee’s phone number and email address on the application portal. The university will contact your referee with a request of reference for you. You should take your referee’s consent before providing his details and make sure he agrees to provide it and replies to the request.

Q Should I declare my disabilities and specific learning difficulties on my application?

A Yes, you must declare any disabilities and specific learning difficulties on your university application so that they know what resources they will require to support you. Knowing these beforehand would help them prepare better to provide additional support to you while you are at the university.

Q How will I get my original certificate and transcript back?

A You do not normally require sending any original certificate or transcript to the University for Admission, clearly scan copies of these upload on the application portal is alright to get offer letter. However, in some countries universities (for example, some universities in Nigeria) do not hand over original certificate and transcript to students and they prefer to send these by post to the prospective universities upon request by the student. Once your prospective UK University receives and takes copies of these, you may request them to post those back to you or request them to keep those with them so that you can collect those when you arrive at the university with your successful student visa.

Q I have another question, who do I ask?

A You can ask any relevant valid question to us via our ‘Ask us a question’ link – our team of consultants will be happy to answer.

Are you looking to study abroad?

Touch your dream with University Admission Expert

  • Offering 15,000+ courses at 100+ study locations
  • Maintaining 99% visa success rate
  • Serving with 14+ years accumulative admission experience
  • Providing end-to-end services, almost 24/7
Check your admission eligibility now

Newsletter Subscription

Keep up to date with the latest news on UK student visa, courses, universities, scholarships, start dates, study guides etc.

Post Comment

Login to post comment
No comment found in this fourm