University of Bedfordshire
At a glance
University of Bedfordshire, also known as Beds is popular for its vibrant & cosmopolitan student Population. Beds is a modern, innovative university with a heritage of top quality education going back more than 100 years.
The University offers a full range of Foundation, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Research courses across four faculties – including University of Bedfordshire Business School,
Faculty of Creative Arts, Technologies & Science, Faculty of Education & Sport, Faculty of Health & Social Sciences.
The high quality of teaching is one of biggest reasons students come to Bedfordshire. Many of Beds highly qualified academic staff have received National Teaching Fellowship Awards for their outstanding contribution to teaching and learning.
Beds courses are grounded in a creative approach to teaching which blends theory with practice. Academic staff across all disciplines have substantial industry experience and maintain links with professional bodies so students at Beds benefit from teaching that is underpinned by real world application. Through their own research and consultancy engagements with leading global organisations, Beds staff help students to make the transition into employment.
The University of Bedfordshire is a member of Association of Business Schools (ABS) and European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). The MBA courses of the University of Bedfordshire have won a national competition offered by the British Council in India. The University of Bedfordshire provides an MBM suite of one year courses to graduates who want to gain a solid foundation in Business and Management to improve their employability and career prospects.
The University is continually investing multi-million pounds in state-of-the-art facilities to provide students with the best environment to succeed. The brand new, three-storey Gateway building, opened its doors to students at the Bedford campus in 2015. The building features high-quality teaching spaces, lecture theatres, informal study areas and a new student services centre – everything you could need under one roof.
Beds contemporary en-suite accommodation features fully furnished flats for students to make a home away from home. Fitzroy Court and Wenlock Court provide 852 ultra modern bedrooms and fantastic communal recreational spaces, equipped gym and laundry facilities. There are eight further self-catered halls of residence - all close to the the campus and town centre.
Facts & figures
Type of Institution
Higher Education Provider (HEP). Student Sponsor - Track Record
International Student No.
THE World University Ranking
THE UK University Ranking
NSS Overall Student Satisfaction (THE)
NSS Overall Student Satisfaction Rank
Why choose University of Bedfordshire
The University of Bedfordshire nurtures students to become educated, employable and entrepreneurial global citizens and committed to becoming the University of the Student Experience. The university is dedicated to provide every possible support that students require to be successful academically and professionally. What you do at university in addition to your studies can make all the difference when you apply for jobs after graduating. You may be a course rep, have a part-time job or be doing voluntary work - there are many ways to acquire and develop the skills that employers seek.
- Beds is dedicated to providing you best support possible during your time with them. Beds specialist teams in the International Office will take care of you from application and enrolment and throughout your student life so that you can focus on your studies.
- Beds Student Support team will make sure you arrive to a warm welcome. You will also receive a Pre-Arrival guide which tells you everything you need to know before coming to the UK. Once you arrive, the team organises five-day orientation programme to introduce you to the life and study here.
- Every new student is given a Buddy – a current international student who can help you settle into student life quickly and easily. Buddies will provide you with anything from directions to find your lectures to helping you with accommodation or buying a sim card for your phone.
- Beds Student Information Desk can be accessed 24/7 and delivers a range of services, from printing council tax letters and booking appointments with a counsellor, to providing a wide range of information all in one place.
- The university’s Professional Academic Development (PAD) team can help you if you are experiencing difficulty with your studies or if you want to develop your skills further. From referencing to It skills, PAD team is there to support you every step of you way.
- The PAL (Peer Assisted Learning) is a unique scheme to help new students. It is owned by students - no staff, no formality. It is a safe, fun, structured yet informal space for 1st year students to explore and get to know their subject, their course, their university and their classmates, ask 'silly questions' that they wouldn't want to ask a lecturer.
- All students will have 24/7 access to BREO (Bedfordshire Resources for Education Online) – the university’s online learning environment. All students use BREO to access lecture notes, discussion boards, podcasts, blogs and announcements. It is web-based allowing access from anywhere with an internet connection, at any time.
- The award-winning Careers and Employment Service provides a number of opportunities and services to help students succeed in the workplace.
- Bedfordshire Students' Internship Scheme (SIS) helps students gain valuable experience while studying at the University of Bedfordshire. Internships range from between two weeks and two months and may be voluntary or paid (some are voluntary with expenses paid).
- The university is in the top 12 in the country for active graduate start-ups by turnover (HEBCIS).
- he university's Careers & Employability Service aims to unlock your potential as a student or graduate and enable you to manage your future career by providing a professional, high-quality information, advice and guidance service.
- Beds qualified Employability Advisors are linked to university departments in order to provide specialist industry advice within your course. In addition, you will have access to them via a daily drop-in service and bookable one-to-one appointments.
- The Careers & Employability Service supports prospective students, current students and graduates to build their employability skills and maximise their work experience opportunities in order to pursue their chosen career after university.
- In addition to Beds Employability Advisors, the service offers a dedicated placements team for students on sandwich courses and a recruitment services team which manages part-time and full-time job vacancies.
- The Careers & Employability Service also manage the University of Bedfordshire skills award, The Edge.By using the service, students will access expert careers guidance, interview and selection test preparation, advice on developing CVs and invitations to careers fairs and employer events. The service also works proactively with a wide range of employers to develop engagement between employers, students and the university.
- The Bedfordshire Edge gives you an opportunity to gain formal recognition for extra curricular activities (Work Experience, Representation, Clubs and Societies, Volunteerng) in which you have participated. On completion of the award, you will receive a Bedfordshire Edge certificate, and your student record will be updated.
- The university's EmployAble programme has been developed to support students in accessing all the initiatives across the University that will support them in building their personal employability skills and portfolio. The Employability Advisors will support you in reflecting on what the EmployAble programme has provided you and how to sell those transferable skills to future employers.
- The University offers a unique Go Global mobility scheme which offers the opportunity to Beds students to experience other cultures and education systems which adds to their global education.
- Due to the outstanding supports, Beds became Top 10 university for improving student experience (National Student Survey 2015) & rated a leading university for personal development and a leading university for improving career prospects and career choices (National Student Survey 2015).
- The university is a leading partner in the Bedfordshire Olympics opportunities Support Team (BOOST).
Tel: +44 (0)1582 489326
Question about this University