UK’s No. 4 Young University
Key Information Need (KIN) - Northumbria University
Type of institution
Higher Education Institution (HEI)
September, January& May
No. of students per staff
About Northumbria University
Northumbria University is based in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK while have partnership arrangements with universities around the world to provide learning for students outside the UK. In September 2014, Northumbria opened its new London Campus which provides access at undergraduate and postgraduate level to professional, industry-based programmes in partnership with QA.
The Northumbria University and QA Higher Education partnership
The Northumbria University London Campus is delivered in partnership with QA Higher Education – a UK higher education provider. All courses at the London Campus are Northumbria University programmes delivered by University and QA Higher Education staff approved by the university. You are enrolled as a Northumbria University student and your final qualification will be awarded by Northumbria University.
Why choose to study at Northumbria University
Northumbria University London campus offers new opportunities and additional options to students who find London’s extra value to add to the benefits of Northumbria’s academic track records. Find below some of the significant reasons for students to choose the Northumbria University London campus –
Rankings & ratings
4 in the UK
- 4 in the UK & 95 in the World (Times Higher Education Young University Rankings, 2022)
- 48 in the UK & 401 in the World (Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2022)
- 30 in the UK & 101 in the World (Times Higher Education Impact Rankings, 2022)
- 18 in the UK & 151 in the World for Electrical & Electronic Engineering courses (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 22 in the UK & 76 in the World for Geography courses (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 24 in the UK & 201 in the World for Engineering courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 24 in the UK & 201 in the World for Art & Design courses (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 24 in the UK & 101 in the World for Law courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 25 in the UK & 301 in the World for Education courses (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 28 in the UK & 201 in the World for Public Health courses (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 30 in the UK & 151 in the World for Sociology courses (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 31 in the UK &501 in the World for Medicine courses (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 33 in the UK & 451 in the World for Computer Science & Information Systems courses (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 38 in the UK & 351 in the World for Business & Management Studies courses (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 43 in the UK & 401 in the World for Management courses (Academic Ranking of World Universities – ShanghaiRanking, 2021)
- 53 in the UK & 401 in the World for Business and Economics courses (Times Higher EducationWorld University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 23 in the UK & 428 in the World for Marketing courses (The Complete University Guide by Subject, 2021)
- 37 in the UK & 301 in the World for Computer Science courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 43 in the UK & 401 in the World for Physical Sciences courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 50 in the UK & 301 in the World for Psychology courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
28 in the UK
- 28 in the UK & 251 in the World (QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022)
- Top 25 in the UK for graduates in highly skilled employment ((UK Full-time undergrads. Graduate Outcomes 2018/19)
- 5 in the UK for graduate business start-ups based on estimated turnover and number of jobs created (The Higher Education Business and Community Interaction Survey by HESA, 2019/20)
- 94.7% Northumbria graduates in employment/further study within 6 months of graduating (DLHE Survey 2015/16)
Facilities & resources
- The London Campus is set over 4 floors
- Tailored class-rooms with small size
- Computer labs and laptop renting service
- The Student Hub: student PCs, printing services and lockers, social/breakout space, IT and learning space
- Dedicated careers and employability area
- ACE (Academic Community Excellence) team area to assist you in your studies and assignments
- Multi-faith room
- Careers and Employability Service
- Student Activities Association – who organise events on campus and help students create and run societies
- Student hub’ with other universities nearby
- Digital Library with Cabinet Office accreditation for Customer Service Excellence since 2010
- 16 in the UK for Best Universities for Campus and Facilities 2021, Student Crowd
- The ACE (Academic Community Excellence) Team provides academic guidance and skills development supports including academic writing, referencing, presentations, research skills, critical writing and reading, group work, time management, maths and computing, one-to-one tutorials, online workshops & Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Careers and Employability Support with one-to-one practical support for preparing your CV or for interviews, inviting graduate recruiters and employers for workshops/guest lectures, identifying part-time work or internship opportunities
- Ask4Help team support with anything related to your studies
- Northumbria Students’ Union London helps you socialise outside your classes and meet like-minded people. With a dedicated London Coordinator, NSU London run a number of events throughout the year, from trips to the theatre and famous landmarks to various socials and wellbeing events.
- The University Library supports your academic success by providing scholarly resources, online services, and opportunities to develop your learning skills
the top 1%
of business schools worldwide
- Both business and accounting programmes have achieved accreditation from The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). This double accreditation places Newcastle Business School in an elite group – the top 1% of business schools worldwide and the only institution in Europe to achieve this
- The university boasts the largest Law School in the North East of England. The Law Department’s Student Law Office was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize, the highest form of national recognition open to a UK university
- Northumbria courses benefit from the input of 550 employer organisations and 50 accrediting bodies – from help designing the syllabus based on the skills they’re looking for, to guru lectures, real client briefs and placements
- The university provides research-led learning that makes it stand-out from others
- The Consultancy Clinic project provides opportunities to final year students to form a ‘Consultancy Firm’ to give free consultancy advice to organisations of any size who are looking to take their business in a new direction
- 3 free short professional training courses under ‘Professional Pathways’ in partnership with QA that has 20+ years developing business and IT skills and are the UK’s largest corporate training provider
- London Campus Alumni Offer of a 25% discount off the listed fees on a range of programmes offered through QA. The discount is valid for multiple bookings made for 3 years after the course completion date.
- The branch campuses in London do not have university halls. However, the university provides guide and help to students finding suitable accommodation. Check here to access this service
Clubs & societies
- 13 in the UK for Best Universities for Clubs and Societies 2021, Student Crowd
- Northumbria Students’ Union (NSU) runs 100+ clubs and societies. NSU team visits London each term and organise events and activities when they are there and throughout the year. Find more about your NSU London here
- 20 in the UK for Best Universities for Students' Union 2021, Student Crowd
Best Student City for consecutive 3 years
- Best Student City for consecutive 3 years by QS Best Student Cities ranking
- Almost 30% of London’s student population is international – about 110,000 overseas students study in London from more than 200 countries
- 75% of Fortune 500 companies have office in London
- Business incubators including Accelerator and Google Campus are based in London which run events and provide office space for students and young entrepreneurs
- London universities produce 130,000 skilled graduates every year, nearly 70% of who work in London. (Source: London Higher)
- London is the largest urban forest in the world. 47% of London is green space and it has been named the “greenest” city in the UK and in 2019 it was declared a ‘National Park City’ by Lonely Planet
- London tops the list of the most sustainable cities. “London’s economic diversity, multi-culturalism, world-class education system and abundance of good quality green space has propelled the capital to the top spot’’ (source: The Planetary Press)
- Named one of the world’s most multicultural cities by Lonely Planet, London is a melting pot of cultures.You will see almost every national of the world living in London and they have brought their own country in the London area they live
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q What is Northumbria University Business Consultancy Clinic and who can join this?
A The Northumbria University Business Consultancy Clinic is a scheme under which the University students provide free consultancy advice to organisations of any size that are looking to take their business in a new direction, explore new challenges and possible solutions, or require fresh eyes to help drive them forward to success.
In Northumbria University London campus with support from a team of experts, students in penultimate semester of their Masters form a ‘consultancy firm’ to provide advice, research and recommendations to business organisations. The main objective of this project is to improve the employability and global talent of future generation, capitalising on entrepreneurialism and supporting the development of students. All whilst giving back to businesses and sectors that need consultancy advice and up-to-date research to help them grow.
The student consultancy services are provided to all types of businesses, including but not limited to:
- Non-profit Organisations
- Public Sector
- Social Enterprises
- Technology Solution Businesses
On an average 3-5 students work within a consultancy group. The consultancy project lasts between 12-15 weeks, at the end of which our student consultants will give final presentation of their final report.
Students at Northumbria are highly motivated and enthusiastic, with a diverse, multicultural body from over 100 countries. The projects are part of their Masters degree and students have strong research and technical skills and are seeking to enhance their leadership, consultancy and employability attributes. They remain fully engaged throughout the duration of the project and consistently involve the business when required throughout the regular touch point meetings.
Q What is Northumbria University careers and employability ‘Professional Pathways’ at London campus?
A Northumbria University wants to make sure you have the professional skills you need for your future career and believes that learning should be an on-going process.
Through the University’s partners QA Higher Education, each full-time London Campus Masters students will be eligible to undertake 3 short professional training courses through QA, on completion of their programme.
These Professional Pathways are available for eligible students at no extra cost. This gives you the opportunity to add further training, worth more than £3,000, to your CV, continuing to develop your skills with those that are highly valued by employers and from one of the UK’s largest corporate training providers, QA Learning.
Each short course varies in length. Depending on the mix of courses you choose, your Professional Pathway will include up to 10 days of training across the 3 courses.QA has over 20 training locations across the UK. You will be able to choose your study venue, subject to availability.For more information, including the full list of courses available, the eligibility criteria and how to book, please visit the QA Higher Education website.
Q What are the benefits of doing a masters with Advanced Practice module at Northumbria University London campus?
A Studying a Masters with Advanced Practice allows you to extend your studies to include either an internship or a group consultancy project or research project,enabling you the opportunity to work with a real organisation on a live business problem, developing valuable work experience and business insight.
A Masters with Advanced Practice can help you stand out to potential employers and gives you real business experience that can be applied in any industry.The Advanced Practice programmes have start dates throughout the year meaning that you can start your programme at a time that suits you.
Specialist modules cover the process and practice of entrepreneurship as well contemporary issues in entrepreneurship. The course culminates in either a dissertation or, if you prefer, a Masters project. This course will make you a highly sought after candidate as employers are keen to recruit people who can bring together resources to achieve break-through change and lead new initiatives.
This option offers the opportunity to spend three months gaining all-important work experience and employability skills in a professional work setting. You may be able to extend this over more than one semester in cases where it is adjacent to a vacation period. Support is provided to help source opportunities and to perfect the applicant CV but ultimately the onus is on the student to secure the internship position.
See here Northumbria University Infographic: Advanced Practice Internship Snapshot