The University of Law
At a glance
The University of Law (ULaw) (formerly the College of Law) is the world’s leading professional law school, and the UK’s longest-established Europe’s largest specialist provider of legal education and training in Europe.
The university is considered amongst world's top private law schools and it is one of the major providers of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses for UK judges, barristers, solicitors, and paralegals. According to the National Student Survey, in 2014 ULaw was recognised as the UK's joint second most successful university, with a learner satisfaction level of 92%.
Whether your ambition is to work as a lawyer or in wider business, studying at The University of Law (ULaw) will ensure you’ll get the best possible start to your career. The university offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate legal training and have trained more lawyers in English law than any other law school. Ulaw’s innovative business focused postgraduate courses are designed and taught by lawyers with real commercial experience and have a strong emphasis on building the practical skills that today’s employers are looking for.
As a ULaw student, you will have access to the country’s largest and most varied pro bono programme with over 3,600 opportunities to put your legal skills into practice. Not to mention the UK’s largest legal mentoring programme, with the support of 600 practising lawyers. In 2014 more ULaw graduates secured training contracts than from any other law college. At Ulaw, all tutors are qualified and experienced lawyers who design the curriculum with employability workshops.
Alongside, LLB and LLM programmes, the university also delivers a series of postgraduate legal training programmes, including the Graduate Diploma in Law, the Legal Practice Course and the Bar Professional Training Course.
ULaw taught many notable alumni, including 153 UK Members of Parliament, 14 Lord Chief Justices, 8 Lord Chancellors and governors of overseas nations.
Facts & figures
Type of Institution
Higher Education Provider (HEP). Student Sponsor - Track Record
Birmingham, Bristol, Chester, Guildford, London Bloomsbury, London Moorgate, Manchester, Leeds
International Student No.
THE World University Ranking
THE UK University Ranking
NSS Overall Student Satisfaction (THE)
NSS Overall Student Satisfaction Rank
Why choose The University of Law
In an article published in The Daiy Telegraph, the University of Law was described as "the country's best law school". It was further stated "Mix the institution's experience of delivering education, with its unrivalled contacts within the legal profession and no other law school can match their reputation and commitment to preparing future lawyers for the fast moving world of modern law"
- The world’s largest professional law school, with roots going back to 1876, ULaw offers first-class, fully-resourced modern law schools in eight UK locations.
- Tutoring from over 250 highly-qualified solicitors, barristers and judges - learning that makes you think and act like a lawyer from day one.
- Impressive employability record – 98% of summer 2013 LPC graduates employed within nine months. Ulaw has exclusive arrangements with over 30 major law firms, work with four out of five of the top global law firms, over 90 of the top 100 in the UK and relationships with hundreds of regional firms. So when you train with The University of Law, their network is your network – giving you contacts that can open doors to training contracts, jobs and career opportunities. li>
- Using the legal industry links ULaw advises on work experience, plus the university runs the largest and most varied pro bono (unpaid legal work) programme in the UK. To help you find the right job, you’ll have access to Ulaw’s leading legal careers service. Ulaw’s careers advisers provide invaluable one-to-one guidance, and you’ll also have access to skills workshops and unique online database, JobSearch, which contains information on legal positions, training contracts and pupillages.
- ULaw's LPC programme has been developed alongside leading firms to ensure students acquire the legal and business skills demanded by today’s market place. As well as covering key elements of law practice, the course develops commercial awareness, critical thinking, project management and the networking skills required to establish a solid career.
- The University restructured its Legal Practice Courses to give students more choice and won a contract to develop law firm-specific LPC programmes for three ‘Magic Circle’ firms – Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance and Linklaters.
- Market-leading legal careers and employability service. ULaw’s innovative online Student Employability Programme (StEP) developed by the University’s Employability Service in response to concerns about access to the profession. The ten-step programme to help aspiring lawyers prepare for a legal career is available free to anyone who registers on ULaw’s Future Lawyers Network website.
- Flexible learning that lets you choose how, where and when you study. ULaw’s interactive learning support system, ELITE play a major role in your study at The University of Law and will give you instant access to your course materials, a wide range of employability information, library resources and information about services offered at your Centre, including accommodation services.
- Availability of a range of funding options including the new Metro Bank Professional Studies Loan for Legal Studies, exclusively available to University of Law students.
Tel: +44 (0) 14 8321 6000
Question about this University