5***** rating in QS world-class
Key Information Need (KIN) - University of Plymouth
Type of Institution
Higher Education Provider (HEP). Student Sponsor - Track Record
Total Student No.
International Student No.
THE World University Ranking
THE UK Univesity Ranking
NSS Overall Student Satisfaction (THE)
NSS Overall Student Satisfaction Rank
About University of Plymouth
Established in 1992, University of Portsmouth is a non-profit public higher-education institution located in the urban setting of the small city of Portsmouth, South East England, about 120km southwest of London. London is just 90 minutes away by train from Portsmouth, and ferries cross regularly to Europe.
Most university buildings are in the heart of this compact city. Everything students need is close by, including: four miles of beautiful beach excellent nightlife and entertainment and accommodation.
Portsmouth is a modern, multi-disciplinary university offering practical courses at undergraduate, postgraduate taught and research level across five faculties including Faculty of Business and Law, Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Faculty of Science and Health & Faculty of Technology.
Portsmouth welcomes 5,200 international and EU students from around 150 countries and has around 31,000 students total.
Why choose to study at University of Plymouth
University of Portsmouth is the best choice by international students for many reasons, some which are listed below –
Rankings & ratings
4 in the UK
QS Top 50 under 50
- 10 in the UK &132in the World (Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2022)
- 60 in the UK & 501 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022)
- 4 in the UK& 101 in the World (QS Top 50 under 50, 2021)
- 5 in the UK &76 in the World for Law course (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 20 in the UK & 201 in the World for Physics course (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 28 in the UK & 201 in the World for Physical Sciencescourses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 48 in the UK &301 in the World (Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2022)
- 31 in the UK & 201 in the World for Management courses (Academic Ranking of World Universities – ShanghaiRanking, 2021)
- 36 in the UK & 201 in the World for Psychology courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 37 in the UK & 251 in the World for Education courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 38 in the UK & 401 in the World for Engineering courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 47 in the UK & 501 in the World for Computer Science courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 48 in the UK & 401 in the World for Economics course (Academic Ranking of World Universities – Shanghai Ranking, 2021)
- 54 in the UK & 401 in the World for Arts and Humanitiescourses (Times Higher EducationWorld University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- 51 in the UK& 301 in the World for Business and Economics courses (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)
- ‘Gold’ rated in the national Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
- Top 15 Best UK university for personal tutoring (StudentCrowd, 2021)
- Top 18 Best UK university for value for money (StudentCrowd, 2021)
- 89% of Portsmouth research conducted in Physics, and 90% of research in Allied Health Professions (e.g. Dental Therapy, Nursing and Pharmacy), was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent (REF 2014)
graduates are in work
- 94% of graduates are in work or further study after finishing their course (HESA Graduate Outcomes Survey conducted in 2019).
- Top 19 University for careers service (Student Crowd, 2021)
- 39 in the UK & 301 in the World (QS Employability Rankings, 2021)
Facilities & resources
- Eldon TV studios with professional live broadcast equipment
- Bloomberg Suite to monitor and analyse real-time financial market data
- Replica court with simulated legal case for law students
- Future Technology Centre to run experiments,debate and explore ideas
- Eldon Production Centre as art and design hub
- Motion Capture Suite with equipment used in professional VR, game design and film
- A 25-seat newsroom for journalism students
- Extreme environmental simulation laboratories
- Institute of Marine Sciences
- Biophysical laboratories
- Environmental Chemistry Analytical Laboratory
- Centre for Simulation in Health and Care, which includes a simulated GP surgery, care home, 1-bedroom flat, ambulance and 2 acute hospital training wards
- Mass Spectrometry and Laser Ablation Laboratory
- SAP Next Generation business software Lab
- Environmental Technology Field Station
- Harwell Science and Innovation Centre
- The particle accelerator at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
- Library with more than 380,000 printed books, 600,000 e-books, 55,000 journals, 400+ open access desktop computers, DVDs, maps, online newspapers and microfilms, 20 meeting pods, postgraduate study suite and 7 faculty librarians over expert knowledge and research assistance
- Financial databases with real-time and historical data
- Device loans library for computer equipment
- Surveying gear for civil engineering students
- Eldon Art Shop for art supplies
- Drama equipment loan store for rehearsals and performances
- Specialised media production spaces
- A 25m 8-lane swimming pool and 175 station fitness suite (gym)
- Climbing wall and ski simulator
- Community orchard
- Careers and Employability Service
world-class in all categories
No. 3 Most
influential Business School in the world
- Five-star rating world-class in all categoriesincluding teaching, employability, internationalisation, facilities, arts and culture, and inclusiveness (QS Top University Guide 2021)
- No. 3 Most influential Business School in the world (Financial Times Business School Teaching Power Rankings, 2021)
- The University are number 1 in the UK for boosting graduate salaries (The Economist, 2017). 5 years after graduation, the average University of Portsmouth graduate earns £3,100 (or 13 per cent) above expectations. In comparison, the average University of Oxford graduate earns £1,900 (or 5 per cent) above expectations.
- Students can accesshe university’s Career and Employability Service through in-house agency the ‘Graduate Recruitment Consultancy’ during study and for 5 years after graduation for graduate jobs
- 7 residential halls, all are in the centre of Portsmouth, close to the campus
- Majority of rooms are en-suite, with private shower, sink and toilet
- Every room a bed, desk, drawers, plenty of sockets free broadband and WiFi,
- All bills are included in the cost of room – gas, electricity, heating, water and basic insurance
- All our rooms are singles, and they're yours for the entire academic year
- A University Residence Life Team is always there if you need help, advice or support. They also provide out-of-hours pastoral care 7 days a week, all year round
Clubs & societies
- 150 sports clubs and societies for all interests, so there's always a lot of social, cultural, extra-curricular activities and fun to be had on campus
- 35 competitive sports clubs to join. You can play socially with friends, train with a team to improve your skills or compete and represent the University of Portsmouth as a player
- Portsmouth is the UK's only island city. Portsea Creek separates the 'great waterfront city' from the mainland
- Portsmouth is one of the most picturesque, welcoming and interesting places to live in the UK, and was voted the No. 7 most popular city in the UK (YouGov, 2021)
- Portsmouth was in the top 10 of the UK's most affordable cities for students in the NatWest Student Living Index 2019
- The City of Portsmouth is Number 1 UK’s most entrepreneurial city (Instant Offices, 2020)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q What sports clubs does the University of Portsmouth have?
A The University of Portsmouth has over 35 competitive sports clubs where you can play socially with friends, train with a team to improve your skills or compete and represent the university. The list of these clubs: American Football, Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Cheerleading, Climbing, Cricket, Cycling, Dance, Dodgeball, Equestrian, Fencing, Futsal, Golf, Gym and Tramp, Handball, Hockey, Lacrosse, Men’s Football, Men’s Rugby, Netball, Rowing, Sailing, Ski and Snowboard, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo and Karate, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Women’s Football, Women’s Rugby.For more information, please check ‘Sport clubs’ on university website.
Q How to travel to the university campus from the living place in Portsmouth?
A Wherever in the city you live, it's quick and easy to make your way to the campus and you'll have plenty of options, too - on foot, by bike or on free University bus service – however you prefer to travel, getting to and about university is simple. For more information, please check ‘Getting to campus’ on university website.
Q How does University of Portsmouth prepare students for career after graduation?
A As a University of Portsmouth student, you'll receive lots of opportunities throughout your degree to get work experience and improve your employability skills. Many of Portsmouth courses include long or short-term work experience placements for students, client projects and work-based modules to enhance your employability. Or, if you want to be your own boss, the university will support you to set up your own business.For more information, please check ‘Work experience opportunities’ on university website.